Khalifa Industrial Zone Abu Dhabi (Kizad) Free Zone Company Formation
Introduction – Free Zone Focus
Khalifa Industrial Zone Abu Dhabi (Kizad) was established as part of the Abu Dhabi Economic Vision 2030 of achieving high economic growth and prosperity for the emirate of Abu Dhabi. It is housed on a site of 417 km2 and is next to the famous world-class Khalifa Port.
Kizad is the flagship project of Abu Dhabi Ports Company (ADPC) which was founded in 2006 by Amiri Decree to operate, own and develop ports and industrial zones in Abu Dhabi.
Kizad’s strategic location, together with its excellent air, sea, road and rail transportation infrastructure provides access to over 4.5 billion consumers.
Kizad’s excellent infrastructure, low costs of operations, easy set up and running of businesses and huge amount of industrial land means that local and international business investors can enjoy dynamic growth with unlimited business opportunities.
The biggest aluminium smelter in the world, Emirates Aluminium (EMAL) is housed at Kizad.
Competitive Advantages: Why Kizad?
- Zero customs duty for goods and services within the zone
- 0% personal and corporate tax
- Full foreign ownership
- 100% repatriation of profits and capital
- Strategic location connecting East and West
- Excellent transport network
- Specific industry clustering
- Purpose-built facilities and infrastructure
- Efficiency in operations
- Low cost of utilities
- Low cost of leases
- Industry clusters for operational synergies
- Speedy and efficient service for processing of all documentation and issuing of certificates and licenses
- One or more company shareholders
- Hassle-free one stop shop Services
- Advice from experience staff
- Bankable agreements
Kizad Abu Dhabi Office
PO Box 54477
Tel: 800 10 20 30
Tel: 00971 800 10 20 30 from outside UAE
Fax: 00971 2 695 2030
Khalifa Industrial Zone
Kizad Company Registration and Licensing Process
ADFZ’s dedicated personnel (Client Relationship Executives) provide an efficient and effective registration and licensing procedure ensuring the issuing of licenses within three working days, following submission of the completed application, settlement of funds and the submission of the necessary documents. Client Relationship Executives also assist clients with other services including guidance on the company type, license and facility type and applications for visas.
- Leasing application process
- Procedure for pre-built facility application
Leasing Application Process
Clients wishing to set up a business at Kizad must obtain a confirmation of lease agreement and then proceed with registering their company.
- Clients wishing to apply for a plot of land need to complete the Industrial Project Application form (IPA).
- The IPA’s are reviewed by the Plot Allocation Committee who will assist the client to find a plot suitable for his/her business needs.
- The client and Kizad reach an agreement on the business to be set up in the Industrial Zone.
- The client can sign a preliminary agreement or the final agreement for which there is access to a third party for finance and investment.
Procedure for Pre-built Facility Application
The application process for offices, warehouses and labourer accommodation:
- Technical and financial study prior to Kizad agreeing with the client on the ideal facility or facilities and submission of a proposal.
- Kizad’s proposal will be either a reservation agreement or a lease agreement.
- Types of companies
- Type of business licenses
Types of Companies:
Limited Liability Company
- Minimum capital requirement of AED 150,000
- Company owner can be a person or a corporate entity or a combination of both
- A company which is registered outside ADFZ can set up a branch company
- Registration as a branch of a UAE company or a branch of a foreign company
Industrial License: for the import of raw materials, processing, manufacturing, assembling, packaging and export of products and other activities.
Trading License / General Trading License: for activities such as import, export, stocking, distribution and warehousing. A General Trading License is issued if the number of products is over 17 or if the number of product groups are over 3.
- Warehouses – Kizad Logistics Park
- Labourer housing
- Business park and community facilities
- Light industrial units (LIUs)
- Kizad’s Industry Clusters
- Khalifa Port
Warehouses – Kizad Logistics Park
- Warehouse units available from 1,133 to 12,463 m2
- Prime location – easy access to sea, road, air and rail transport network
- Flexibility in unit size and layout – combining of units permitted
- 7m internal height
- 1.3m raised dock floors for easy loading
- Up to 10% office facility
- Three loading doors, one with a separate ramp for fork-lifts
- Dedicated loading yard
- Power supply for own fitting of cooling, a/c and cold stores
- Fire sprinkler system
- Integrated fire alarm system
- Fitted WC’s and kitchenette
- Car parking
A range of housing options with excellent facilities and amenities are being developed for the 120,000 blue collar employees that will be living at Kizad’s four “workers cities”.
Different types of housing are available for different levels of employee:
- Villas ideal for senior management
- Town houses ideal for middle management
- Apartments ideal for skilled workers
- Studios ideal for skilled workers
- Shared facilities in the workers village – single, double and four people per room
Business Park and Community Facilities
Kizad offers excellent infrastructure and service to clients whose businesses are housed in the free zone. There are two business parks, one in the Kizad free zone area and one in the non-free zone area. There are also various local and district community centres.
- 6 buildings with 40,000 m2 of space
- Spaces available for lease
- Own premises can be constructed on plots of land
- Next to the Kizad main road
- Landscaped gardens
- Covered piazzas
- Retails outlets
- Food and beverage facilties
- Business hotel
- Commercial showrooms
- Training facilities
- Research facilities
- Other services
District Community Centres
- Provision of a wide range of facilities and services
- Each district centre has its specific facilities in line with its industrial activities and requirements
- Facilities include medical clinics, retail outlets, foot outlets, mosques, civil defense and other facilities
Local Community Centres
- Provision of a wide range of facilities and services including mosques, retail outlets and other facilities
- Prime location with easy access (walking distance) to main services and facilities
Light Industrial Units (LIUs)
LIUs of 300m2, 600m2 and 1,200m2 (which can be combined for extra space) are ideal for:
- Metal fabrication
- Product assembly
- Food production and food processing
- Servicing of equipment
Kizad’s Industry Clusters
At Kizad investors can take advantage of operational synergies due to the co-location of similar industries such as the following industries:
- Petrochemicals and chemicals
- Engineered metal products
- Trade and logistics
- Paper, print and packaging
- Pharmaceuticals and healthcare equipment
- Mixed use and others
The deep water Khalifa Port in Taweelah (between Dubai and Abu Dhabi) was established in September 2012 and is owned by ADPC and operated by Abu Dhabi Terminals (ADT). It has an offshore area of over 2.7 km2 and a 16.5m deep basin. Its world-class infrastructure makes it one of the most advanced ports in the world. It can handle the biggest ships and serves 17 shipping lines, offering services to over 40 international destinations.
Information to download: